The Zebrafish Research Laboratory in Hacettepe University was established in 2015 within the Laboratory Animals Research and Application Center with the support of the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK, 214S174) to study the effects of mutations of rare disorders in Turkey. In 2017 laboratory infrastructure was improved and housing capacity was improved with another project by Hacettepe University Scientific Research Projects Coordination Unit (H.Ü.BAP, TAY-2017-12735).
The laboratory has legal and ethical permission from Republic Of Turkey Ministry Of Food, Agriculture And Livestock for breeding, supply and generating transgenic zebrafish lines by using genome editing tools.
The infrastructure holds three separate tank systems for housing of adult zebrafish. For newly arrived fish there is a separate quarantine unit and a nursery for larva. 1500 adult fish can be housed at full capacity. Systems are re-circulating through bio-filters, mechanical filters and UV-radiation and fully are quarantined. Facility has its own reverse osmosis water purification system. Water quality values are monitored everyday and large-scale quality tests are carried out regularly.
Related projects and oral/poster presentations are listed below:
System Identification of the Dynamics of Multisensory Integration. H2020, Project no: 101026643 (2021-2023)
Behavioral Mechanisms of Active Sensing. TUBITAK, Project no: 120E198 (2021-2024)
Development of Bio-Pesticides and Herbicides for Sustainable Agricultural Product Production. TÜBİTAK, PRIMA 2020 Section2
ZF experiments assistant: Ecem Kural-Mangıt
Xmu-Mp-1 Application to Desma Mutant Zebra Fish Model For Treatment. HÜBAP (Hacettepe University Scientific Research Projects), Project no: TYL-2018-17472 (2018-2021).
Investigation of interaction partners of desmin and lamin B using high resolution mass spectrometry. HÜBAP (Hacettepe University Scientific Research Projects) (2018-2019).
Investigation of the effect of a desmin mutation on desmin protein function by using zebrafish model. TUBITAK, Project no: 214S174 (2015-2018).
Development of CRISPR/Cas9 genome editing tools in zebrafish for rare diseases modeling. HÜBAP (Hacettepe University Scientific Research Projects), Project no: TAY-2017-12735 (2017-2019).
- Yaylacıoğlu Tuncay, F., Kural Mangıt, E., Kayman Kürekçi, G., Güntekin Ergün, S., & Dinçer, P. R. , (2021).Creating Rare Disease Specific CRISPR-Cas9 Platforms in Zebrafish and Ensuring Their Sustainability in Hacettepe University Zebrafish Research Laboratory: Challenges in mimicking missense variants. 2nd Zebrafish Workshop, Turkey
- Kayman-Kürekçi, G., Kural Mangıt, E., Koyunlar, C., Ünsal, Ş., Sağlam, B., Ergin, B., Gizer, M., Uyanık, I., Boustanabadimaralan Düz, N., Korkusuz, P., Talim, B., Puralı, P., Hughes, S.M., Dinçer, P.R. Characterization of zebrafish desmin orthologs and incomplete penetrance in CRISPR/Cas9-generated stable knockouts. 18 March 2021, The 2nd Zebrafish Workshop in Turkey, İzmir, Turkey.
- Yaylacıoğlu Tuncay, F., Talim, B.,& Dinçer, P. R. , (2020).TGFBI geninde Genom Düzenleme Tekniği ile Oluşturulan Varyasyonların Zebra Balığı Korneasındaki Fenotipik Etkilerinin İncelenmesi . 14. Ulusal Tıbbi Genetik Kongresi. Ankara, Turkey
- Ecem Kural-Mangıt, Pervin Dinçer. 6-11 July 2019. No Compartment for Proteins- an Approach for Isolating Differentially Located Intermediate Filaments. The 44th FEBS Congress (Poster), Krakow, Poland.
- Ünsal Ş., Dinçer P.R., 06-11 July 2019. Loss of mechanosensitivity causes skeletal muscle degeneration in LGMD2R. 44th FEBS Congress, Krakow, Poland
- Çinar, Z., & Dinçer, P. R. , (2019). Intramuscular drug application in zebrafish. Türkiye Moleküler Biyoloji Derneği 7.Uluslararası Kongresi, İstanbul, Turkey
- Bora Ergin, Berk Saglam, Seyda Unsal, NuhanPurali, Pervin Dincer. 7-11 July 2018. A novel method for monitoring Ca2+ transients in zebrafish muscle fibers. 11th FENS Forum of Neuroscience, Berlin, German
- Ünsal Ş., Kayman-Kürekçi G., Kural-Mangıt E., Talim B., Yersal N., Ergin B., Düz N., Çinar Z., Korkusuz P., Puralı N., Dinçer P. 5-8 September 2018. Disease modeling in zebrafish: Limb-Girdle Muscular Dystrophy 2R. 6th International Congress of the Molecular Biology Association of Turkey, İzmir, Turkey
- G. Kayman-Kurekci, E. Kural-Mangıt, S. Unsal,N. Yersal, B. Ergin, B. Sağlam, N. Duz, Z. Cınar, B. Talim, P. Korkusuz, N. Purali, P. Dincer. 11-14 November 2018. Limb-Girdle Muscular Dystrophy 2R modelling in zebrafish to determine a novel mechanism related to desmin-lamin B interaction. Keystone Symposia meeting on From Rare to Care: Discovery, Modeling and Translation of Rare Diseases, Vienna, Austria
- Kayman-Kürekçi Gülsüm, Kural-Mangıt Ecem, Koyunlar Cansu, Ünsal Şeyda, Dinçer Pervin (24-27 October 2017). LGMD2R disease modeling in zebrafish by genome editing tools. Mammalian Genetics and Genomics: From Molecular Mechanisms toTranslational Applications, Heidelberg, Germany
- Kayman Kurekci G., Unsal S., Dincer P. 10-14 September 2017. In vivo targeted mutagenesis via CRISPR/Cas9 and TALEN in zebrafish enables rapid screening of candidate rare diseases genes. 42nd FEBS Congress (Poster), Jerusalem, Israel.
- Kayman-Kurekci G., Koyunlar C., Kural E., Talim B., Ergin B., Ünsal S., Purali N., Korkusuz P., Erdem Ozdamar S., Dincer P. 27-30 May 2017. Modeling of a unique desmin mutation in zebrafish by using genome editing brings new insights into desmin function. European Society of Human Genetics Conference (Poster). ESHG 2017 Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Yaylacıoğlu Tuncay, F., Kayman Kürekçi, G., Güntekin Ergün, S., Paşaoğlu, Ö. T. , Akata, R. F. , & Dinçer, P. R. , (2017). Genetic analysis of CHST6 and TGFBI in Turkish patients with corneal dystrophies: Five novel variations in CHST6 . ESHG Conference, Vienna, Austria
- Ünsal Ş., Kural E., Koyunlar C., Kayman-Kurekci G., Ergin B., Sağlam B., Purali N., Dincer P. 12-15 July 2017. Defining the Role of Mechanotransduction in Limb-Girdle Muscular Dystrophy Type 2R. Mechanical Forces in Biology, EMBO-EMBL Symposia. (Poster). Berlin, Germany.
- Koyunlar C., Kayman Kurekci G, Kural E, Talim B, Purali N, Dincer P. 27-30 May 2017. Analysing the Expression Profile of Human DES Orthologues Desma and Desmb by Using Knockout Zebrafish Models. European Society of Human Genetics Conference (Poster). ESHG 2017 Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Kural E, Kayman Kürekçi G, Koyunlar C,Yaylacioğlu Tuncay F, Ünsal Ş, Dinçer P. 3-7 July 2017. Zebrafish Disease Modeling Of Rare Disorders By Genome Editing Tools In Turkey. 10th European Zebrafish Meeting (Poster). Budapeste, Hungary.
- G K Kurekci, C Koyunlar, E Kural, B Talim, P Korkusuz, S E Ozdamar, N Purali, P Dincer. Desmin mutation with an ultra rare and unique phenotype: Genome editing for a patient specific zebrafish model. 5-8 March 2017. Keystone Symposia, Rare and Undiagnosed Diseases: Discovery and Models of Precision Therapy (Poster). Boston, U.S.A.
- Dinçer, P., Kayman Kürekçi, G., Kural, E., Koyunlar, C., Talim, B.., Korkusuz, P., Özdamar, S.E., Puralı, N., Özgüç, M. Rare Diseases and New Therapy Modalities – Challenges and Opportunities in Turkey. 17-20 August 2016. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Meeting, Genome Engineering: The CRISPR/Cas Revolution. (Oral Presentation). New York, U.S.A.
- Kural-Mangıt Ecem, Kayman-Kürekçi Gülsüm, Koyunlar Cansu, Dinçer Pervin (2016). Hacettepe University Zebrafish Research Laboratory: Zebrafish Disease Modeling by Genome Editing Tools.The 41st FEBS Congress, Turkey